Today in EDCI 336, we learned how to use Social Media to stay updated with our class readings and different school districts and teachers/principals in a certain area. We do this using Twitter. I don’t have an account, but I do just go on my laptop and search what is needed. I have a lot of social media accounts already and lately I’ve been trying to use my phone less, so that’s the reason why I didn’t want to get Twitter. I do see how it keeps you connected to the education system in your area.

We also learned how to use Trello as a collaboration app. Jessica and I are using for our Baking Free Inquiry project and we’re using it for our Learning Disabilities EdTech Inquiry project with Jessica H., Kayleigh, Jessica L. and I. It’s a way for us to keep track of what questions we have about our certain topic and then we can move the questions across the board once we’ve completed that certain question. I’m also using a blog not to collaborate, but to post my discoveries and others can comment on these posts to give me constructive feedback. I’ve been able to keep up with all the blog posts so far… We will see later in the semester.

I find it is a little difficult to keep track of all the different websites we need to be using, but I do see and understand the educational benefit from all of them.

Madi 🙂