I am finally on the second part of my musical growth assignment for my music class. I have been learning piano and for the first part of the assignment I learned how to play Somewhere Over the Rainbow from the Wizard of Oz. I also realized I could play some of my scales that I could play beforehand and and working on steady rhythm. When I was younger, I found that I always went really fast through songs because I was so nervous I would mess up. This made me mess up more because I was so stressed out all the time focusing on the pace I was going.

This second part of the term, I’ve decided to play the song “Beauty and the Beast” from the movie Beauty and the Beast. This song hits close to home for me because I am probably one of the biggest fans of Disney in the entire world. I have loved the Disney princess’ since I was young and have grown up with Disney as a huge part of my life. I really wanted to do the song a “Whole New World” from Aladdin, but I played that song when I was younger, and I wanted to challenge myself by playing songs that I am not as comfortable with.

What I’m going to be focusing on this time is definitely my ability to pace the music in order for me to play the song with both hands and a reasonable pace. This song is sung in slower melody, so I want to be able to play with this type of impact with the song.

I’ll need to make sure I give myself time to practice because the end of the semester is slowly approaching and life is about to get crazy!

Madi:)