As our final baking challenge, we thought we’d go with something that was the most challenging, obviously! We found this recipe on Pinterest and thought they looked scrumptious! We made S’mores Cookie Cups. You can find the recipe here.

We started by heating the oven to 350˙C and 1/2 a cup and 2 Tbsps of all-purpose flour

We needed graham cracker crumbs, so I smashed some up and 1/2 a cup of these

1/4 tsp of baking soda and 1/2 tsp of salt and mixed that all together and set it aside

Then we started to mix the wet ingredients together, starting with 1/2 a cup butter

1/4 of a cup of granulated sugar and a 1/2 of a cup of brown sugar

1 egg

And 1 tsp of vanilla

We mixed this all together and then added the dry ingredients. We set up the muffin tray

We out them in them in the oven like this

While our base was cooking, we got 200g of chocolate ready to melt

We put this in the microwave with 100ml of whipping cream for 30 secs, stirring after every time.

After the bases had been in the oven for 13 minutes, we took them out and had to press little circles into them so that they could have a little bowl for the chocolate to sit in

Then we poured our melted chocolate into them

We put them in the fridge to set while we started on the marshmallow fluff

We placed 1/3 of a cup of water, 3/4 of a cup of granulated sugar, and 3/4 of a cup of honey in a medium saucepan

We used a thermometer to make sure the pan was staying at the correct heat

While Jess stayed with the saucepan, I worked on the other part of it in the mixer. I put 3 egg whites and 1/2 tsp of cream of tartar into the mixer and once the saucepan got to 225˙C, we whipped the egg whites together. They needed to create soft peaks in order for us to add the sugar mixture to it. Once this happened we slowly started adding the sugar mixture for about 7 minutes

It made this

We put it in a ziploc bag and cut the tip so we could ice our cupcakes with it

It was a lot of work for a great outcome! We got so much positive feedback on this one and I can see why!

Jess’ dad also blowtorched them for us so they looked even cooler

Throughout this inquiry process Jess and I have grown with our abilities to try new things and we’re now great bakers because of it!

Madi 🙂