I have now started my music inquiry project. Before the midterm, my attempt is to learn the song “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” from the Wizard of Oz. For the first week, my plan was to listen to a recording of the song. I’ve attached a link to the youtube video I watched to listen to the song:

I also decided to purchase a keyboard so I have a way of practicing at home. I discovered that I’m not going to have enough time to be able to practice at school, so I decided purchasing one was the best option for me to practice at any spare chance I have at home. Her name is Petty the Piano:)

I have been practicing the right hand and left by themselves. I have discovered I don’t totally remember how to read the Bass Clef. I keep having to stop and go through the acronyms of the notes to figure out what note I am reading.

I have started putting the piece together with both hands. I’m taking it very slow! My music is a nice steady 4/4 time and has a couple F sharpes, G sharpes, and E flats, but is in the key of C major. The piece is suppose to be played at a “lento” paste and has a couple crescendos, decrescendos, meso forte, and meso piano parts. I’m trying to focus on practicing using those parts right from the beginning so it feels natural the entire time I’m playing the song.

Hopefully I can get it to sound as good as the recording.

Madi 🙂