Today’s class included a guest speaker, Jesse Miller, who discussed privacy and safety online. This also tied in with FIPPA, who we discussed at the beginning of the course.

Jesse speech discussed how we as up and coming educators need to be able to create safe image online for ourselves. One major topic he discussed was to make sure if you’re going to post pictures or comments about your work life, to make a separate account using your district’s email and making sure to not post pictures with children’s faces or names tagged in to them. We should feel comfortable enough with our accounts that if we were applying for a teaching position and the director went and looked on your account that they wouldn’t see anything that would turn them away from hiring you.

Jesse also showed us multiple scenarios of where certain teachers have fall short of these ideas on privacy and safety and had to leave their jobs because of it. All of the discoveries were through technology, whether it was through the school’s technology and our individual’s personal accounts. I was shocked that if you post something using the school’s wifi, it will be on that wifi forever.

His discussion was very insightful and made me reflect on how I want to use technology in my classroom while keeping my students protected and safe.

Madi 🙂